2008 started with a bang in downtown London watching fireworks with my sister Donna and her husband Lauren, and 350 000 other people. Yesterday, I saw Donna and Lauren to the airport, where they flew out to Angola for their 8 month volunteer term there. And today I found out I am not leaving for Nepal this Friday as planned. It's been an eventful year so far!
I'm postponing my flight to Nepal because my resident visa is not yet ready. Sigh. This means I'll be sticking around in England for another couple of weeks waiting for the final bits to be processed. It's disappointing, especially after sending Donna and Lauren off yesterday. I'm ready to go, and have been preparing for this for awhile, so it's hard to wait more. However, a two week delay is not so long on the grand scheme of this year. I knew all along this was a possibility, as bureaucratic processes are unpredictable at best in Nepal, and I booked a flight that can be changed. Besides, I have a great backup option - another few weeks in Cambridge with my new niece. So, here's hoping that the visa comes through soon. The NGO I'm working for in Nepal tells me that they should get the word any day now from the government. The question is, which day will it be?
My parents and I organized a couple of days of sightseeing in London before I left, and we're continuing with that as planned. Since this is my first visit to England, I'm finding it all very fascinating. It's quite something to be in Westminster Abbey and see the graves and memorials of so many famous people. And famous people I've heard of, with descriptions in English – both elements that add to the interest compared to other European cathedrals I've visited. What stands out for me, though, is my first view of downtown London as I came out of the Westminster tube station – Big Ben and the parliament buildings lit up on New Years Eve. What an impressive sight.
The police directing the circus in Piccadilly Circus on New Year's Eve. Actually, mostly the police were helping lost tourists and posing for photos, as far as we could tell. With the streets shut down to traffic, there was little direction to the multitudes of pedestrians everywhere.
2 comments:
Carol, sorry to hear you're delayed in getting to Nepal! You have waited so long for this. But at least you get to be a proud aunt for a few more weeks! When is your new estimated departure date?
Booked for Jan 14th departure at the moment, if the visa comes through. In the mean time I'll enjoy being an aunt - I hope you had some good aunt time over the holidays too.
Post a Comment