Jan 14, 2008
I'm sitting in the train to London, having just said farewell to my family. I'm on my way to Nepal at last. I'm excited about going, sad about leaving those I love, and a bit nervous, all at the same time. The last couple of days, once I knew for sure I had a visa and was going, were busy but good. I definitely felt better once I found out everything was in place, and I was off to Nepal.
Here's what I know about what will happen after I arrive in Nepal. I'm flying in at 1:45pm on Tuesday, 45 mins after Roz (an Australian who will be working here, who has been also waiting for Nepali visa) arrives. I'm looking forward to meeting her, as we will be doing our orientation together, and living together in Pokhara while we do. We'll be met at the airport, and stay with the INF orientation coordinator in Kathmandu until Saturday, when we will take the bus to Pokhara. There we'll be staying in an apartment about a 10 min walk from Green Pastures Hospital, where I'll be working. Apparently it's sunny, has a pleasant woman who helps with the housework, and we get our own phone line. There is a Nepali nurse living downstairs. That's about the extent of what I know - more than I knew a few days ago, but with lots more to discover in the weeks to come. It's an exciting adventure.
I hope to post frequently when I arrive, especially to capture my first impressions of things. Hopefully I will have good enough internet access to allow me to do that. If I don't, I'll try to record my impressions anyway, and post them in bunches, as I am able.
--I got to experience lack of internet sooner than I expected - I was hoping to send this from Heathrow Airport, but my departure gate was in a new extension, that had no internet access. So I'm sending this from the INF office in Nepal. Next to come, a post about my arrival.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment