Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pictures and Presentations about Nepal

It's the end of November already! I'm almost 2 months into my new job, and it's starting to feel familiar, and not so overwhelming like it was in the first few weeks. It was certainly a culture shock to go back to work in Canada! It's a really neat job, and I think I'm going to enjoy it. I hadn't fully realized how having an accessible computer can transform the life of someone who is paralized, and can't even move their hands. It is really a window into the outside world, for communication, entertainment, work, and making notes (since you can't write). It's neat to be able to be helping people do that.

Here at last are some links from my the many presentations that I have done this fall about my 16 months living and working in Nepal. It's been fun to be able to share with many of you who supported me what I have been up to. After a couple of fun events out in Calgary, I stared the presentations in Ontario with a Nepali dinner for 45 at my church, reminiscent of the dinner I hosted there nearly two years before. It was great to return and share what had happened in the two years in between! Here are some links from that night:
Once again my mom was a huge help with cooking the food. She also dressed up in the sari she had been giving my one of my co-workers in Nepal. Mom and Dad were great groupies, and came to three of my presentations, and posted a few more pics here.

I also prepared a sermon in July for the outdoor church that happens at the lake where my cottage is. Sadly, my service was the only one this summer rained out, so I didn't give it this year. However, if you're interested, you can read it here. Perhaps I'll give it next year, we'll see. I have used parts of it in some of my other talks, so it was not all lost effort!

It's getting colder and darker here in Toronto, though no really cold weather yet - I'm still able to bike to work some days. I had a funny realization a few weeks ago. I had been somewhat absently been thinking that I was looking a bit washed out, and rather pale. It finally occurred to me that I am pale, paler than I've been for 2 years. This is my natural skin colour, with no tan or freckles. I had forgotten what I look like in the winter! Last weekend it was sunny, and I was outside in my t-shirt working in the yard, trying to soak up some the weak Nov. sun - no tanning, but perhaps some vitamin D?

I've been busy looking for an apartment, and it looks like I'll be living in the Avenue Rd and Eglinton area as of Jan 1 (final details for apt in process). This is much closer to work, which is great, and a nice area. In the mean time I'll stay with my sister, be around for the birth of my niece or nephew, and for Christmas. Should be an exciting month.

Finally a few more pics from my time out west in the summer - hiking in the mountains around Calgary, attending a friend's wedding (wearing Nepali clothes), kayaking near Vancouver, and attending my Aunt and Uncle's 60th wedding anniversary. It was a great trip!

No comments: