
I'm sitting out on the balcony of the hotel, having a quiet morning after two busy days of presenting at the 1
st National Spinal Cord Injury Workshops at Green Pastures Hospital. The workshops have gone very well, and we've been impressed by the knowledge and enthusiasm of the participants from around Nepal. We did a plenary lecture on wheelchair issues related to SCI, and then ran three workshops on practical wheelchair issues, such as fitting, cushions, wheeling skills, and maintenance. The follow-up research project I did last year also came up several times to justify improving home and community accessibility - it was really cool to see being used, and making a difference already. I've posted an album of pictures from the last couple of days showing some of what we've been doing
here.

It's wonderful to back - I have been so warmly greeted by co-workers at the hospital, as well as the ex-pat community. I was met at the airport with flowers, and was immediately invited to go
swimming with friends, as it was Saturday, and everyone's day off. Sunday was the start of a nation-wide strike, so we walked 45mins to the hospital from the hotel in Lakeside where we are staying. It was great to get a chance to meet everyone again before things started, and we able to get organized for our workshops on Monday. I also got to join in with the other ex-pats for a
farewell BBQ for someone who came just as I was leaving a year ago. It was a bit surreal for me, the last time I was together with these people, it was my farewell party. Still, fabulous to see everyone again!

Monday and Tuesday were full days with the workshops and all the teaching, made fuller by walking to and from the hospital each day. I haven't actually have to walk the entire way every day, as I sometimes got a ride with Sita on her adapted scooter, purchased just as I was leaving Nepal a year ago. She doesn't have good enough sitting balance to use it independently, so she needs someone else on it to help her balance on the bumpy local roads (and was only using it because the strikes meant her usual taxi could not drive her to work). We hope to be able to adapt her seating for her scooter, and for her wheelchair while we are here, so that she can be more independent.

A very special treat was that the mountains were visible Monday and Tuesday. I wasn't sure we'd get to see them this time of year, as they are often obscured by clouds. In general, life has a very peaceful feel here, and much quieter than usual, as stores are closed, no vehicles are running and children are playing cricket and soccer in the streets due to the national strike. It's been going for 4 days, and while negotiations are ongoing between the Maoists and the Government, it is not clear when it will end. We are safe and only slightly inconvenienced by it (ie having to walk to the hospital), so it's easy to be patient. We are privileged in being able to fly out when we will need to (planes are still running, just no ground transport). However it may be we will not make it to Tansen Mission Hospital, as there is no airport access there. We'll see how the week unfolds. As it is, several of the workshop participants are also stuck in Pokhara due to the strike, including two physios from Tansen, and we are able to continue workshoping with them. We will be able to make good use of our time here, even if it is different than initially anticipated!
No comments:
Post a Comment