I totally shocked and impressed the staff that I could speak Nepali. I was rather impressed myself that they were all Nepali speakers, to be honest. We ordered the dal bhat, which I had to do by ordering the lentils, rice, vegtable and meat curries separately - you couldn't order it as a meal, which seemed so strange. And it so expensive - though only compared to Nepal, not so much when compared with restaurants here. When the food came, I asked (in Nepali) if it would be ok to eat with my hand in the restaurant, and they surprised me by saying no! And while the food was very miTho (tasty), it didn't taste quite like the food I remembered from Nepal. Different spicing, somewhat different cooking methods, I'm guessing. But it made me sad, and miss the yummy food from Nepal. Still, worth going back again, just to get to talk Nepali to the staff!
Friday, July 31, 2009
Dancing Videos
Tonight I went to one of the two Nepali restaurants in town. Something I'd been holding off doing, because I wasn't sure what it would be like, and was still recovering from my dal bhat marathon just before I left Nepal. So today it was.
I totally shocked and impressed the staff that I could speak Nepali. I was rather impressed myself that they were all Nepali speakers, to be honest. We ordered the dal bhat, which I had to do by ordering the lentils, rice, vegtable and meat curries separately - you couldn't order it as a meal, which seemed so strange. And it so expensive - though only compared to Nepal, not so much when compared with restaurants here. When the food came, I asked (in Nepali) if it would be ok to eat with my hand in the restaurant, and they surprised me by saying no! And while the food was very miTho (tasty), it didn't taste quite like the food I remembered from Nepal. Different spicing, somewhat different cooking methods, I'm guessing. But it made me sad, and miss the yummy food from Nepal. Still, worth going back again, just to get to talk Nepali to the staff!
One thing I loved about Nepalis was their enthusiasm for getting together to sing and dance. In Occupational Therapy, we hosted a cultural program once a month, which was always popular. And once it got going, we were never short of people willing to dance. These were fun events, and there was one a week before I left the hospital. Now that I'm home and have the internet bandwidth, I've posted several videos of patients dancing - not letting any disability get in the way of having a great time. Music and singing provided by the rest of the patients.
I totally shocked and impressed the staff that I could speak Nepali. I was rather impressed myself that they were all Nepali speakers, to be honest. We ordered the dal bhat, which I had to do by ordering the lentils, rice, vegtable and meat curries separately - you couldn't order it as a meal, which seemed so strange. And it so expensive - though only compared to Nepal, not so much when compared with restaurants here. When the food came, I asked (in Nepali) if it would be ok to eat with my hand in the restaurant, and they surprised me by saying no! And while the food was very miTho (tasty), it didn't taste quite like the food I remembered from Nepal. Different spicing, somewhat different cooking methods, I'm guessing. But it made me sad, and miss the yummy food from Nepal. Still, worth going back again, just to get to talk Nepali to the staff!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great Videos--you can sure see their joie d' vivre (sp?) And some really lovely graceful movements.
Muriel
Post a Comment