I gave blood after church last week. Hindus tend to be quite superstitious about giving blood (it will steal their energy and life), so it's an neat way the Nepali church can be an example to their community. And like everything in Nepal, it was a full on program, with a message and songs about how Christ gave his blood for us, so we can emulate him and give our blood to others, and how blood represents life in the Bible. I'd not given that much thought to the theology of blood donation before, I must admit.
I did give a lot of thought to whether it was safe to donate, that's for sure. And I was well satisfied. Red Cross trained workers were there, and the blood donation kits (needle included), were new, sterile, and not expired. After a quick swipe of my elbow with some alcohol, the needle was in, and I got to lie there while everyone gathered around to watch. I don't consider watching someone give blood interesting, but clearly the Nepali's crowded round did – and not just for me – though as a white person, I was even more entertainment. After that, I was led by the arm to the other side of the room, where I was given a juice box, and a plate of fresh fruit. All in all I was very impressed at how well it was organized (in a Nepali way – there of course was a great deal of milling around until things happened), and how much less waste there was in the process than in the west.
What I wasn't reassured by was the screening process. With everyone around clambering for a form, we had to answer a few questions. The only one of consequence, other than age and address etc, was when I'd last had my period, and did I have any problems. But, not expecting this question (I don't know if it was meant as a pregnancy test or an anemia test, I can't think why else they'd care), I didn't understand what they were getting at at first, and it had to be repeated. Which made everyone stop and watch, while I struggled to sort out what they wanted, in a culture that doesn't talk openly about such things in mixed company. For the sake of my own personal embarrassment, I'm glad they didn't ask some of the more intrusive questions required when you give blood at home. But it might have been good to at least state somewhere that if you had HIV or hepatitis for example, that you shouldn't give blood - I hope they screen it well. For now, I'm glad there's a westerner around with O Neg blood who I could turn to in an emergency.
No comments:
Post a Comment