Sunday, November 30, 2008

Annapurna base camp trek

Hello again, after a month away from my blog, I'm back in Pokhara, and finally have time to post some pictures.

I had an amazing 11 days trekking up to Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) with three friends from Canada. Elinor, Julia and I (left) went to Queen's together, and Jan, Julia and I went to church together in Calgary, and sometimes went hiking and skiing together in the Rockies. It was a fun group, and we had a fabulous time. We took tons of pictures, and I've put up about 300 with comments to make it into a bit of a photo diary, so I won't write too much here (photos being uploaded, not quite all there yet). All I need to say is that we had spectacular weather to view the mountains, ABC was breathtaking, and we loved out journeys through the hill villages and countryside of Nepal.

We did spend one day at the hospital, so my friends could see where I work. Everyone had brought fun things for the hospital, as well as some medical rehab supplies that aren't available here. Julia had had fun at the dollar store, and was very amused to discover that some of the blow-able party favours would be put to good use for breathing exercises for patients. The fake glasses and noses got the biggest laugh, and immediately everyone had to try them out. In the afternoon, there was a patient program with singing and dancing, and of course, we all had to dance. Julia rescued us from the embarrassment a bit by breaking into some highland dancing, to the amusement of everyone.

After our trek, I went to Kathmandu for the INF conference, Julia and Jan went off to explore more of Nepal, and Elinor flew off for 2 weeks in Thailand (only to get stranded there for a few days on her way out, due to the unrest there – thankfully, she's sorted out now, and starting on her way home). The INF conference was great – all the workers came together from all over Nepal, as well as board members, 'alumni' and those serving the Nepali diaspora who came from abroad. It was a great week of music, thoughtful speakers and sessions, and catching up with and getting to know all sorts of interesting INF people.

This past week I have been enjoying seeing around Kathmandu with Julia and Jan. I'll post more about that some other day. Jan left on Friday, and Julia today, and I flew back to Pokhara today as well. I was sad to have them leave – it's been so wonderful to have friends from home here, but I'm also glad to be back in Pokhara and getting back to 'normal life' again, and see friends here. There are lots more patient home visits to do, and and after a rest, I'm feeling ready to get back at them.

1 comment:

nepal blog guest said...

Wow Carol, amazing pictures! Looks like you had a great time.
Donna