The medical rehabilitation team from the NepalAbility group in Toronto arrived last Friday. The weekend was spent doing touristy things with them in Lakeside. I didn't end up paragliding after all, although the rest of them did, as the weather wasn't really clear (and I can wait for a better day). I did go kayaking on the lake on Sat, and then on a great hike up to the Peace Pagoda on Sunday. The latter requires a boat ride across the lake, then a 45min hike up to the pagoda, with beautiful views of the lake behind you. You hike down past hundreds of prayer flags, then down to a Tibetan refugee camp on the other side. There we saw a monastery, and some women weaving carpets. It was all finished off by a lunch at a Lakeside restaurant. All in all, a lovely day, and I've posted the pictures from it here.
Friday we visited the shop that the hospital uses to build some devices, and modify wheelchairs when necessary. It was really interesting to see what things they have done in the past, and helpful for me to see what kinds of tools and materials they have available. In the afternoon I finally had a meeting with Manoj (the director of occupational therapy) and Iain (the medical director) about what they need me to do while I'm here. That was really helpful, and I'm starting to feel like I have some ideas about what is needed, and how I can contribute.
Saturday was a busy day. Joy and Leslie timed their visit well, and we all had breakfast with the Canadian Ambassador to India (who also covers Nepal) and the rest of the Canadian community in Pokhara. There were about 15 of us there, and it was neat to meet other Canadians living and working in Pokhara. Joy and Leslie then flew off to Kathmandu on their way home, and I got back just in time for Church. After church I went to visit the Nepali family/orphanage that have befriended me – it's great, the girls all sit around me at Church, and regularly help me figure out which hymn we are singing, and what bible passage is being read. Then in the evening most of the INF staff went to Lakeside for dinner together. Today I had a much more relaxing day, which was what I needed. I did get to play guitar for the monthly English church service tonight, something which I will be doing more of when the guy who has been leading music leaves town.
2 comments:
Carol, thank you for the updates! And for the e-mail last week, too. Sorry I've been negligent with the updates from this end. GCF is significantly "calmer" lately--or at least, I've been getting more sleep on Thursday nights!
Take care.
By "calmer," I think Sara means "allowing me more time to work on my thesis"! ...Coming back to reread this earlier entry, as I missed the pictures the first time. I LOVE the shots of the terraced fields. Isn't erosion a problem during monsoons? -- Matt Lowe without an 'h' either
Post a Comment