Like so many people, I was shocked by the devastation in
Nepal following the magnitude 7.8 earthquake on April 25. I had been in Nepal
only 3 weeks before, and spent the first day seeking information on friends
and colleagues back in Nepal. Fortunately everyone I knew was ok, though most slept, or attempted
to sleep, outdoors for several days for fear of aftershocks.
![]() |
| Pokhara church groups bagging rice |
The hospitals I have worked at are also all fine, and have been
receiving the first wave of injured. They are gearing up to support the large
number of people with new disabilities from the earthquake. This is what is happening at each of them,
and links to support them if you are interested. Note that the Canadian government will match
donations for disaster relief in Nepal until May 25, 2015.
Green
Pastures Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre in Pokhara is part of INF. INF has been working in Nepal for over 60
years, and will continue its focus on rehabilitation for people with
disabilities and ongoing community development. GPHRC just opened new spinal
rehab wards, which are already being used for patients flown in from remote villages.
INF is also providing regular updates on how you can pray for Nepal.
The Spinal
Injury Rehabilitation Centre (SIRC) is located on the outskirts of Kathmandu
in a wonderful facility. There are an estimated 400 new spinal cord injuries
due to the earthquake, and many will get
rehabilitation at SIRC. You can also donate to SIRC via SpiNepal a group
affiliated with UBC Department of Orthopaedics, who in addition to financial support,
have been providing skype consults and coaching to the doctors in Nepal as they
respond to the many patient needs.
I have sent out a Newsletter with more updates on what we
did on our most recent trip to Nepal. You can download
it here. Our work was also highlighted
on Toronto Rehab – UHN’s website.
If you are in Toronto, I will be giving a talk about my
recent trip and updates on the relief efforts in Nepal on May 21 at 7pm at my church. It would be great
if you can join us.
I had got a start on organizing photos from the trip and
was planning on putting up a newsy post the weekend the earthquake hit. I will
post more photos as I can, but for now following relief efforts and figuring out how I can
support Nepal after the earthquake is taking priority. Here are the links to the completed photo
albums, in chronological order:


No comments:
Post a Comment