In the wheelchair skills, I started to learn how to do wheelies – an advanced skill, that when mastered, allows the user to go up and down small steps and over obstacles without any help. I was just working on learning the balance point of the chair – the instructor said I should be comfortable sitting with the front wheel up for 5 mins or so, before working on other skills like moving forward in the wheelie position.
Bangalore is a nice city – lots of parks it seems – and the temperature is really comfortable. It hasn't rained yet, and probably doesn't get warmer than high twenties. Coming from the start of monsoon in Pokhara, both are a welcome change. It's also a strange mix of east and west. Last night we went to M.G. Road (short for Mahatma Gandhi, of course) which is the shopping strip. Looking up, I felt like I could be downtown in any western city – all the name brand stores were there, and the lights and busyness were the same. However, the hustle and bustle at street level still had quite an Indian flavour to it. I feel a bit like I've come half way back to Canadian culture, more advanced and busy than Nepal, but still with a very Asian feel to it all.
Strangely enough I'm eating more like a Nepali here than I do in Nepal. At the centre where we are staying, we're being fed dal bhat tarkari twice a day. At home I might only eat it once or twice a week since I have other options too, but I'm enjoying it here.
1 comment:
Ummm... do you wear a helmet with all this wheelie practice??? I'm not saying you're not talented, but I just had this image of you bailing on the stairs :)
Post a Comment