Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Nepalganj trip and blog update

Hey, I've just got back from a 2 day Community Based Rehab meeting in Nepalganj – a city on the boarder with India. The meetings were interesting (at least what I understood) but all in Nepali which was exhausting, and meant for much mind wandering when I didn't know what was going on. In addition, getting there involves a 12 hour drive there and back. I'm shortly off to bed after today's long drive, but wanted to post the events of the last couple of days (see posts below this).

After the meetings yesterday, Sita and I headed out on a rickshaw to do a bit of shopping (things are cheap this close to the boarder) and try the spiced meat kibabs (naturally called something else, that I can't remember) that Nepalganj is famous for – and rightly so, they were yummy. Sita was enthusiastic to do some cross boarder shopping, but since I need a visa to get into India, that idea was out.

I have been doing lots of really interesting things – last week I was paragliding and had a really great home visit (which involved staying over night in the patient's home in the village). I'll post details and pictures on those things when I get time. But all this travelling has made me rather busy, and coupled with frustrations with email and phones not working, has made it difficult to stay caught up.

In addition to the events of the last couple of days, the rest of this week promises to be intense, as the leaving starts in earnest. Christina (the awesome OT student working with us for 10 weeks from Canada) and Ruth (a fun med student from England here for 3 weeks) are flying out on Sat. Sunday Roz moves to Kathmandu, having finished her language training, and leaving me with the house to myself for a few weeks until another short termer arrives. Clayton and Catherine-Anne, my good friends from Canada, are also visiting from Kathmandu this week, which could well be my last time to see them before they fly home. Then a couple weeks breather and the long term families start to leave. Hard to get my head around, I think right now I won't try, and will instead head to bed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: