“Happy Good Friday” was what my Hindu work mates wished me as I left work before the long weekend. Since we work at a Christian hospital, they know about the Christian holidays (since we get to take them off), but perhaps not exactly what is being commemorated by Good Friday. I appreciated the gesture all the same.
Friday was a holiday for most people, actually, since it also was Holi, the Hindu Festival of Colour. This festival is great fun for all, particularly the children, who basically celebrate it with water fights and throwing coloured powder at each other. I went out for a bike ride in the morning, and came back totally soaked, and somewhat coloured. It was really fun, and the atmosphere was so friendly – the inevitable 'hellos' that follow me around were much friendlier, and instead of asking for sweets, the kids wished me a 'happy Holi' (in English). Even the young men roaring around on motorbikes (also covered in coloured paint) cheerfully wished me a 'happy Holi'.
There was less going on later in the afternoon when I went out for a Good Friday service – although I still had to fend off some kids to keep my church clothes clean. I headed to the Catholic Church to get a bit of the liturgy I associate with Easter services, which was nice, but still all in Nepali, so I only got bits of it. Afterwards, I also went to my usual Nepali Church for their evening service – Good Friday and Easter Sunday are not generally holidays in Nepal, so my Church has an evening service on Friday and a sunrise service on Sunday to allow everyone to participate, even if they are working.
Saturday was my birthday, and to celebrate that and Easter, all the ex-pats went to the Shangri-La, a posh hotel with a beautiful pool. For about $10 you can enjoy a fabulous buffet brunch and swim all afternoon. It is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon, and to get away from the hustle and bustle of life in Nepal. I felt very celebrated.
Sunday a big group of ex-pats headed up Sarangkot, a hill overlooking both the Pokhara Valley and the Annapurna Mountain range. Sarangkot is a popular destination for tourists, particularly to view the sunrise, and watch the first light hit the mountaintops.
One can either take a taxi nearly to the top, or hike the 800m up on a well worn trail with steps and flagstone paving in places to make the going easier. Our group was split – some hiked and some took a taxi. Those of us who hiked stopped at a hotel with a pool about a quarter of the way up for lunch, which was lovely. The skies clouded over as we ate, and so we hiked up in the misty rain, which kept us from getting too hot.
We stayed the night at a hotel near the top (to make getting up in time to see the sunrise less painful). That evening I taught the group Bohnanza, my favourite bean counting game, which was very popular – especially with 9 year old Peter, who has won several games since I taught it to them all. And then early to bed, early to rise, in time to catch the sunrise.
We go up at about 5am, and it was well worth it. Even though it was a somewhat misty morning, it was still breathtaking to see the sun hit the snow capped peaks before it was visible over the horizon. It really is a glorious view. Now if only there weren't so many tourists there too...
After sunrise we headed back to the hotel for breakfast, and then the whole group of us hiked down together. We were back in town by lunchtime, in time to see a bunch of kids pretending to paraglide with a big piece of tarp. I can certainly see why Sarangkot is such a popular destination, it really is spectacular, and easy to get to. I've got lots more pictures from the hike here.
1 comment:
Happy belated birthday, Carol! Sounds like you were well feted. I love the image of you coming back from a bike ride soaked and vaguely tinted.
Post a Comment