Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Curry and Rice Pudding

For lunch today we had an odd combination of foods. Curried vegetables and rice pudding. Not mixed together, but served at the same time. Good, but odd.

The weather has warmed up somewhat, more sunny days in a row now, and less wearing all of your clothes when inside. It gets quite hot in the middle of the day, you see kids out in shorts, but the evenings are still cool. It does mean that we are more likely to get a hot shower, since we have a solar hot water heater. After cloudy days, we have to heat a pan of hot water for washing and (quickly) rinse in cool water - not what you want to do when it's already cold in your house! So we are pleased with the warming weather!

I was a bit startled to get online tonight and discover I'd essentially missed Ash Wednesday. I guess it's early this year, and I have been a bit otherwise distracted. But it highlighted to me that I feel somewhat disconnected from the world. Roz and I were excited to discover today where the newspapers are kept at our language training class - there even are a couple of English newspapers published in Nepal. We haven't really seen or heard much news since our arrival. Life is busy here with language learning, and adapting to the new culture around us, and apparently, despite being an avid CBC listener, I can quite happily get by not knowing what's going on in the world. Of course there is always the internet, but given our somewhat unpredictable access, time online is too precious to waste on looking up the news. So if anything really important happens, do let me know, ok?

3 comments:

rcj said...

You also missed Shrove Tuesday... which would have been pancakes in Anglican-land and Mardi-Gras elsewhere.... you choose which of those is more missable.

nepal blog guest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nepal blog guest said...

I almost forgot Valentine's Day here. I think it has to do with the weather. There should be snow or at least it should be cold for Valentine's Day! Anyway, Lauren didn't forget, he tried to take me out for lunch at the hospital cantena, but they ran out of food before we made it there... All in all it was not a romantic day:)
Donna